One of the most important aspects of driving is driving defensively. You never know when an unexpected hazard will cross your path, so it’s important to always stay alert behind the wheel. Our service technicians here at Bonander Buick GMC want to help you prepare for all types of road dangers, so to help you stay safe on the road, we’ve narrowed down the five most common road hazards and what you need to do if you encounter them:
- Bad Traffic: Traffic jams can lead to dangerous driving conditions in mere seconds. It’s important to keep a safe distance between you and the car in front of you when navigating slow-moving traffic. Always be prepared to brake at a moment’s notice.
- Reckless Pedestrians: No matter what, it’s always a motorist’s responsibility to yield to pedestrians in order to avoid collisions. Always be on the lookout for pedestrians, especially at intersections and crosswalks, and be prepared to brake if one disrupts traffic.
- Cyclists: Even though many roads have bicycle lanes, it’s always important to give cyclists plenty of space in case they accidentally merge into traffic. Give cyclists plenty of room and take care to stop if one moves into your lane.
- Potholes: Even minor potholes can lead to serious accidents and costly repair jobs. If you notice a pothole while driving, try to avoid it any way you can. Merge into another lane if you have to; if you can’t avoid the pothole, drive over it slowly, so your vehicle doesn’t incur any damage.
- Poor Weather: If you’re caught driving during a heavy rain or snow storm, slow down and stay focused on the road. If you’re unable to see the road, don’t hesitate to pull over until the weather clears.
For more advice on how to avoid road hazards, visit our Turlock, CA dealership located at 231 S Center Street.